Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Prayer

O My Soul:

I have noticed that I have been praying the Matin Prayer Service regularly for well over a year.  It has become part of my daily schedule along with breakfast and bathroom breaks.  I've been praying it Monday through Thursday without many misses.  I schedule it on the church calendar, vest, and speak the whole service aloud including lesson from the Daily Lectionary.  Aloud, so I can hear the texts and the prayers.  Usually a time of silence during the additional collects just to listen, ponder, or add my own requests.  It takes up to a half-hour.  Sometimes congregation members join.  Sometimes not.

I started at the suggestion of my pastor.

At first it bored me to tears.  It was just hard work.  My ears had been closed to the gospel.  I didn't get anything out of it.  It seemed like a waste of time.  But it was on the schedule so I kept at it.

I still battle depression (obviously) but I am hearing the Gospel.

I receive benefits from Christ's death more and more and more.

I reflect on those benefits off and on throughout the day.

It is a blessing in the midst of the darkness that comes and goes (almost at random).

But, it is now hard for me to imagine going weeks or even days without listening to my Lord and my God.  And it is definitely not a waste of time.

Open my lips O Lord and my mouth will declare Your praise.

He has and I am.


Hope in Christ &
God be with you, too

-oms

No comments:

Post a Comment