Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Binge Drinking and Depression

O My Soul:

I remember my sophomore year in High School health class. The teacher said that drinking increased the inability to cope with many daily and common problems that we might face in life.

I was confused. Alcohol was socially acceptable for old and young alike. And wow was it fun. I was a binge drinker. I started when I was 14. Realized I might have a problem when I threw up in my sleep at 17. Couldn't stop at 20.

Finally, I became not only bored with the drinking routine but also repulsed with hangovers. I stopped.

Why did I not remain addicted? I don't know. But I gave it my best shot. At my worst I knew that I blacked out at about 18 beers, but the evidence was that I drank a few more beyond that.

I was listening to a person talk about an alcoholic spouse the other day and realized I think like an alcoholic. The language makes sense. The patterns makes sense. Part of recovering from depression is learning new skills, learning how to handle the common problems we face in life. I think I still have poor coping skills...


...Maybe that High School health class teacher was on to something.

Here is a CDC video that says a lot of what that teacher may have tried to tell me.

As a pastor, I am still surrounded by alcohol. But the "wow" is turned into the witness of much pain, isolation, domestic violence, car accidents, marital separation & divorce, attempted suicide, and even a death - from alcohol.

Lord have mercy.


Hope in Christ &
God bless you and yours

-oms

1 comment: