Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What's in my head?

O My Soul:

Vivid memories and powerful emotions go together.

I visited Cambodia's S-21 prison a few years ago. It was a grade school converted into one of Pol Pot's prisons in 1975. A former teacher became the chief of the prison.

I talked to many Cambodian church leaders. I heard their stories. Every family lost a family member during Pol Pot's reign from 1975 - 1979. They showed me some of their own physical scars.

In 1975 I was a third grader in rural America. In 1975, Cambodian third graders were having their pictures taken. They didn't live another two months. Many of the pictures are on the web but I'm not linking you to them.

That evening I went to my little hotel room. They had a t.v. channel of foreign music videos. Special treat for me, they said.

I saw this video for the first time the same day I saw S-21 and heard many stories. Not to confuse Cambodian (my memories) and Irish (topic of video) history but the visual of S-21 and the emotion/poetry of this video fused together for me.

And it's all in my head this morning. I'm going to pray Matins and spend some time with my Savior.

Collect for Grace:
O Lord, our heavenly Father, almighty and everlasting God, You have safely brought us to the beginning of this day. Defend us in the same with Your mighty power and grant that this day we fall into no sin, neither run into any kind of danger, but that all our doings, being ordered by Your governance, may be righteous in Your sight; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.






-oms

No comments:

Post a Comment