Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11 and Reliving Trauma

O My Soul:

Here is an article from Psychology Today entitled 911: Never Forget, but is it helpful to always remember?

We Christians have this twisted notion that we must forgive and forget.

Well, yes, in Christ I can forgive someone who has hurt me. I can recognize the injury, the sin, for what it is. I can be healed. I can definitely be healed from the trauma.

However, I almost always remember the injury and I think most people do to. The act of forgetting is wishful thinking.

I feel sorry for those who have to relive images of a loved ones death year after year. Televised. Reported. Discussed. Again, and again. Year after year.

If I had a loved one who passed away in New York on September 11, 2001, I would turn off the media and read Holy Scripture aloud and receive healing from Christ.

I don't have such a loved one, but I think I will still read Holy Scripture and pray on their behalf.

-oms

No comments:

Post a Comment