Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Weeping Over Christian Missions

O My Soul:

The darkest part of my depression was experienced overseas as a missionary.

The prevailing attitude within the missions leadership of my church body (even just a few years ago) is that you are either tough enough to handle the abandonment and abuse...or not. That may sound harsh, but as I have talked to more and more former missionaries both inside and outside the circles of my own church body, a similar pattern appears.

So, when I ran across this little article about a heart for missions earlier this morning, I experienced more thoughts and feelings than I can express in a single post. But here are a few:

I don't have the heart to be treated like a rock star visiting supporting congregations only to ask for more money. I don't have the heart to watch young college graduates lose their soul to another world religion. I don't have the heart to find another short-term missionary in a brothel. I don't have the heart to teach English to the neglect of the Great Commission to baptize and teach. I don't have the heart for planning, and more planning, and then re-planning strategies to convert the world to Jesus when at the heart of the problem is that we missionaries don't acknowledge sin in our own hearts nor in the hearts of those to whom we have been sent.

A warning to anyone praying and thinking about serving in Christian missions. You will be romanced (recruited) sweetly (aggressively) by mission leaders. It feels pretty good. But, if in the next few years you prove faint hearted in the midst of the stress that will come your way, don't be surprised if you are tossed away like a used hag.

We who have gone that way are legion... and forgotten.

Well, Jesus remembers and continues to weep over Jerusalem. It is written:

   
41 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, 42 saying, “If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. (Luke 19:41-42, New King James Version)

Let us pray,

Father God, remember the baptized and save us, even me, according to Your promise; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

And may God bless your soul.

-oms

No comments:

Post a Comment